||1. Reaven, G.M., Role of insulin resistance in human disease (syndrome X): an|
expanded definition. Annu Rev Med, 1993. 44: p. 121-31.
2. Sattar, N., et al., Metabolic syndrome with and without C-reactive protein as a
predictor of coronary heart disease and diabetes in the West of Scotland
Coronary Prevention Study. Circulation, 2003. 108(4): p. 414-9.
3. Huang, P.L., A comprehensive definition for metabolic syndrome. Dis Model
Mech, 2009. 2(5-6): p. 231-7.
4. Opie, L.H., Metabolic syndrome. Circulation, 2007. 115(3): p. e32-5.
5. Lakka, H.M., et al., The metabolic syndrome and total and cardiovascular
disease mortality in middle-aged men. JAMA, 2002. 288(21): p. 2709-16.
6. Ford, E.S., W.H. Giles, and W.H. Dietz, Prevalence of the metabolic
syndrome among US adults: findings from the third National Health and
Nutrition Examination Survey. JAMA, 2002. 287(3): p. 356-9.
7. Park, Y.W., et al., The metabolic syndrome: prevalence and associated risk
factor findings in the US population from the Third National Health and
Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994. Arch Intern Med, 2003. 163(4): p.
8. Ford, E.S. and W.H. Giles, A comparison of the prevalence of the metabolic
syndrome using two proposed definitions. Diabetes Care, 2003. 26(3): p.
9. Assmann, G., et al., Harmonizing the definition of the metabolic syndrome:
comparison of the criteria of the Adult Treatment Panel III and the
International Diabetes Federation in United States American and European
populations. Am J Cardiol, 2007. 99(4): p. 541-8.
10. Alberti, K.G. and P.Z. Zimmet, Definition, diagnosis and classification of
diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of
diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation. Diabet Med, 1998.
15(7): p. 539-53.
11. Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert
Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in
Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report. Circulation, 2002. 106(25): p.
12. Zimmet, P., et al., The metabolic syndrome: a global public health problem
and a new definition. J Atheroscler Thromb, 2005. 12(6): p. 295-300.
13. Grundy, S.M., et al., Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome:
an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
scientific statement: Executive Summary. Crit Pathw Cardiol, 2005. 4(4): p.
14. Alberti, K.G., et al., Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim
statement of the International Diabetes Federation Task Force on
Epidemiology and Prevention; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute;
American Heart Association; World Heart Federation; International
Atherosclerosis Society; and International Association for the Study of Obesity.
Circulation, 2009. 120(16): p. 1640-5.
15. Balkau, B., et al., Frequency of the WHO metabolic syndrome in European
cohorts, and an alternative definition of an insulin resistance syndrome.
Diabetes Metab, 2002. 28(5): p. 364-76.
16. Anand, S.S., et al., Relationship of metabolic syndrome and fibrinolytic
dysfunction to cardiovascular disease. Circulation, 2003. 108(4): p. 420-5.
17. Gupta, R., et al., Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in an Indian urban
population. Int J Cardiol, 2004. 97(2): p. 257-61.
18. Kozan, O., et al., Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among Turkish adults.
Eur J Clin Nutr, 2007. 61(4): p. 548-53.
19. Zabetian, A., F. Hadaegh, and F. Azizi, Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in
Iranian adult population, concordance between the IDF with the ATPIII and
the WHO definitions. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 2007. 77(2): p. 251-7.
20. Park, H.S., et al., The metabolic syndrome and associated lifestyle factors
among South Korean adults. Int J Epidemiol, 2004. 33(2): p. 328-36.
21. Tan, C.E., et al., Can we apply the National Cholesterol Education Program
Adult Treatment Panel definition of the metabolic syndrome to Asians?
Diabetes Care, 2004. 27(5): p. 1182-6.
22. Gu, D., et al., Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome and overweight among
adults in China. Lancet, 2005. 365(9468): p. 1398-405.
23. Feng, Y., et al., Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and its relation to body
composition in a Chinese rural population. Obesity (Silver Spring), 2006.
14(11): p. 2089-98.
24. Morales, D.D., et al., Metabolic syndrome in the Philippine general
population: prevalence and risk for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease
and diabetes mellitus. Diab Vasc Dis Res, 2008. 5(1): p. 36-43.
25. Wang, W., et al., Epidemiological investigation of metabolic syndrome and
analysis of relevant factors in north-eastern China. J Int Med Res, 2010. 38(1):
26. Ko, G.T., et al., High prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Hong Kong
Chinese--comparison of three diagnostic criteria. Diabetes Res Clin Pract,
2005. 69(2): p. 160-8.
27. Pan, W.H., W.T. Yeh, and L.C. Weng, Epidemiology of metabolic syndrome
in Asia. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr, 2008. 17 Suppl 1: p. 37-42.
28. Chuang, S.Y., C.H. Chen, and P. Chou, Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in
a large health check-up population in Taiwan. J Chin Med Assoc, 2004.
67(12): p. 611-20.
29. Chen, H.J. and W.H. Pan, Probable blind spot in the International Diabetes
Federation definition of metabolic syndrome. Obesity (Silver Spring), 2007.
15(5): p. 1096-100.
30. Chen, H.J., et al., Influence of metabolic syndrome and general obesity on the
risk of ischemic stroke. Stroke, 2006. 37(4): p. 1060-4.
31. Zabetian, A., et al., Weight change and incident metabolic syndrome in
Iranian men and women; a 3 year follow-up study. BMC Public Health, 2009.
9: p. 138.
32. Kim, B.J., et al., Association of smoking status, weight change, and incident
metabolic syndrome in men: a 3-year follow-up study. Diabetes Care, 2009.
32(7): p. 1314-6.
33. Sheu, W.H., et al., Predictors of incident diabetes, metabolic syndrome in
middle-aged adults: a 10-year follow-up study from Kinmen, Taiwan. Diabetes
Res Clin Pract, 2006. 74(2): p. 162-8.
34. Yang, F.Y., M.L. Wahlqvist, and M.S. Lee, Body mass index (BMI) as a
major factor in the incidence of the metabolic syndrome and its constituents in
unaffected Taiwanese from 1998 to 2002. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr, 2008. 17(2): p.
35. Chobanian, A.V., et al., The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee
on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure:
the JNC 7 report. JAMA, 2003. 289(19): p. 2560-72.
36. Heng, D., et al., Modification of the NCEP ATP III definitions of the metabolic
syndrome for use in Asians identifies individuals at risk of ischemic heart
disease. Atherosclerosis, 2006. 186(2): p. 367-73.
37. Sjostrom, L., et al., Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10
years after bariatric surgery. N Engl J Med, 2004. 351(26): p. 2683-93.
38. Esposito, K., et al., Effect of weight loss and lifestyle changes on vascular
inflammatory markers in obese women: a randomized trial. JAMA, 2003.
289(14): p. 1799-804.
39. Moore, L.L., et al., Can sustained weight loss in overweight individuals
reduce the risk of diabetes mellitus? Epidemiology, 2000. 11(3): p. 269-73.
40. Tuomilehto, J., et al., Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in
lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance. N Engl J Med, 2001.
344(18): p. 1343-50.